Read Random Post

Thursday 28 October 2010

Realisation - Futurebook 2010

I need £400 to attend this conference

It is crucial to my phd, it's the very thing I am talking about: the way in which publishers will disseminate text in the oncoming tide of e-books. There will be handwringing and analysis and by god, there will probably be donuts.

I wrote a polite e-mail to its organiser asking for discount. Her Twitter said this 4 hours ago:





I have never been so mortified by a hashtag. I need £400. UEA will spit in my face if I ask for that much for research funds. I only have 52 Twitter followers and most of them are bots: The Tao Lin share option is far far away. I can't imagine the marketeer Leo Tolstoy will give me a tenner. I am surprised his zombie ghost has taken so heartily to the 140 character form and I am further surprised that he re-tweets a jetsetting cartoon bear with such frequency. He clearly has his monetisation worked out. He is on point.

I am not as popular as Tao Lin or as media savvy as Tolstoy. I need a plan.

In other news, I am about to run to UEA and attend an phd ethics seminar. In order to suitably impress and silence those that would oppose me, outfit today is as multi-layered and shot-through with complex semiotic references as anything Prada has put out in the last 5 years.








You can buy my outfit. It is the least you can do.
It's time the internet started working for me.

0 comments: